Sunday 16 June 2013

Primo Piano, Leek, Staffordshire

Primo Piano is a Ristorante and Pizzeria based in Leek, Staffordshire. Yes, you did hear me right, Leek - that's where I live! Finally, somewhere in Leek I can review, Hurrah! As far as I know this is the only restaurant in my home town offering to cater for Coeliacs (at the moment). But I'm really hoping I can change that soon.

It was a special occasion, our 3rd wedding anniversary, so we decided to book a table there on a Wednesday evening (I've heard it can get quite busy on Friday and Saturday nights so definitely book in advance). Family friends had mentioned that they offer some gluten-free options on the menu and I also checked www.onionring.co.uk in advance too and was pleased to see that "gluten free dishes available" was clearly stated on this website. A quick phone call to the restaurant a couple of days beforehand also clarified this for me. You can find a copy of their menu on onionring (although I'm not sure how up to date this menu is).

Once we were seated at our table the waitress very kindly explained that all the chicken and steak dishes could be prepared gluten-free so I could choose any of those. I had heard that they do provide gluten-free pizza bases so you can also get a pizza there but I decided to go for a steak, it was a special occasion after all, and I never would normally choose steak on a menu.

I must say I was a bit disappointed to see that although there were options I could have on the menu, there was no mention of a gluten-free pizza base on the menu and it would have been nice if there had been a gluten-free pasta option on there too. Still, the meal I had was delicious, steak in a blue Italian cheese sauce with salad and potatoes. The steak was cooked exactly how I liked it and the sauce was absolutely moreish, rich, creamy and filling and yet not too overpowering to the steak. I would most definitely order this again when I go back although I am trying to be careful with my dairy intake at the moment so I have to be careful with creamy sauces like that.

I'm hoping that the more people that get diagnosed with Coeliac Disease (and it is becoming more and more common) and as the demand increases for gluten-free cuisine, smaller restaurants like Primo will develop their menu to include more pasta and pizza dishes in line with some of the bigger chain restaurants that are already doing this. The good thing about Primo though is that it is my local restaurant and they do offer some gluten-free choices so it means I don't have to travel to Manchester for a meal out, however, if you don't like chicken or steak (or you happen to also be vegetarian) I do wonder whether there would be anything for you to have here. Also, the steak dishes happen to be the most expensive meals on their menu rather annoyingly! I do think in the future Primo should work on their menu, maybe highlight on there with a 'GF' symbol all the dishes that are gluten-free so it is really clear and if they could expand their menu to include one pasta dish this would ensure I came back time and time again. Still, I have to give it to Primo for being the first restaurant to openly advertise gluten-free choices in Leek and I'm hoping that other venues in Leek and the surrounding areas will catch on and also do the same.

If you're a restaurant/cafe in Leek, I'm coming for you!!!!



Happy Anniversary to us!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I live in Leek and have been on a GF diet for 27 years. White Hart tearooms have an excellent GF menu, including bread products. Great for English breakfasts or a quick beans on toast. The best restaurant in the area for me is Reds, at Boundary, Nr Cheadle. Amazing GF options including pies, pasta, bread and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, many thanks for your comment. I didn't realise White Hart Tearooms also did gluten-free, that's a place I definitely need to check out, so thank you for the tip. I have been to Reds yes and you are right there are some fantastic things on the menu. You have just reminded me that I need to write up my review of Reds, I had a really lovely meal there a couple of months ago. I agree it is probably the best gluten-free place in the area. Have you also tried The Salt Bar in Macclesfield? I have reviewed it here on my blog. Can you recommend anywhere else in Leek?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, just looked up the Salt Bar and it looks very interesting. We go shopping a lot in Macc, so we'll definitely try there. Noticed that it's on TV tonight on The Restaurant Man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I will be watching! It's probably my favourite restaurant I've ever been to. You should definitely pay them a visit. But book in advance as it's quite popular!

      Delete