Sunday 15 September 2013

The Movable Feast, wedding catering, nr Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

I LOVE a good wedding! I love everything about them - from the happy couple, the vows, the flowers, 'the dress', the music and dancing, and of course the FOOD - they all play a huge part in making the day special.



Last month we attended a friend's wedding in Suffolk. This was my first wedding as a Coeliac guest. When RSVP-ing to the wedding invite I had obviously indicated that I would require a completely gluten-free meal. I had even asked the Bride and Groom to pass on my phone number to their caterers should they have any queries about what I could eat.

I was so nervous about the wedding catering that I took a bag full of Coeliac snacks - Tyrrells crisps, DS-gluten free pretzels, Newburn Bakehouse muffins, that kind of thing - just in case there wasn't much I could eat. The Movable Feast however were absolutely brilliant at catering for my dietary needs, I can't praise them highly enough! On the day itself the caterers knew straightaway I was Coeliac and so when the food started being brought out I had my own server who brought my food out separate from everybody else's. The food itself was amazing, probably one of the nicest wedding breakfasts I have ever had. I had pretty much the same as everybody else which didn't single me out from the rest of the guests. To start we had chicken liver pate with bread, I obviously had gluten-free bread as a substitute. The main course was guinea fowl, something I have never had before. It was really tasty, served with veg and potatoes and I actually think it was exactly the same meal as the rest of the guests. However when it came to dessert I had a lovely panna cotta whilst everybody else had lemon tart. I'm guessing the gluten-free pastry would have been too tricky to master - a little bit disappointing because the tart did look scrummy. I can't complain though because I really enjoyed what I had, I didn't feel singled out as a 'fussy eater' or different to any of the other guests. The caterers were very discrete and considerate of my special dietary requirements and I had 3 courses of amazing gourmet food that really filled me up - the first time I have felt completely stuffed in ages. Sadly there was nothing for me to eat at the evening buffet, which was a BBQ served outside and the risk of cross-contamination was too high with bread crumbs everywhere. To be honest though, even by the time the BBQ was served at 9pm I was still so full from the wedding breakfast that I probably wouldn't have eaten anything even if there was something I could have had so I didn't really mind at all.

Overall it was a beautiful wedding with fantastic food. This was one wedding where my Coeliac snacks definitely stayed in my bag. A big thank you to The Movable Feast for a wonderful meal with fantastic service. The staff are clearly very knowledgeable about gluten-free catering and they definitely try and adapt their dishes to be gluten-free rather than cook something completely different for Coeliac guests.



If you are a Coeliac in the East Anglia area planning a wedding or just planning a wedding with Coeliac guests I would definitely recommend The Movable Feast.

You can contact The Movable Feast on 01359 231 231.

1 comment: